[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 21:30:04 UTC 2006

On 6/3/06, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 02 June 2006 19:36, Justin M. Hunt wrote:
> > Display Channel Icon: Let the theme decide
>
> Assumes that channel icons are always available/installed. We don't want to
> restrict users to using one theme or another because they do/don't have
> channel icons. We *might* assume that channel icons can be displayed if the
> icon field of any record in the channel table is complete.

If they icons are there then let the theme decide if and how to
display them, they are missing, obviously they can't be displayed.

> > Time offset for thumbnail preview images: most users probably don't change
> > this since you cant get it perfectly right for all programs anyways
>
> I use this, though I don't object to it being dropped as a setting the value
> used should take passing values into account. In my case I use a 2 minute
> soft padding ahead of any recording so the thumbnail offset should be at
> least 180-240 seconds or padding+120 seconds.

Yes, the code should take the global pre-roll and any per-program
padding into account, ideally. Not sure how easy it is though as those
setting might be changed by the user between the time the recording
was made and the preview was generated, right?

> As far as other suggestions. I believe it was already mentioned in the project
> proposal, but splitting settings into basic/advanced groups would make first
> time configuration easier. I'd envision a basic/advanced tab on each settings
> page to divide them but maintain the basic grouping.

That has the advantage of allowing people to see all the advanced
settings even if they don't want to mess with them. The other commonly
used design is to have a configuration level setting that hides or
shows the advanced settings (or even completely changes the settings
layout).

Steve