[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 19:36:36 UTC 2006

On Friday 02 June 2006 19:36, Justin M. Hunt wrote:
> There are several settings which I have identified which may be removed,
> unless there is compelling reasons not to.  Please look through the
> following list of options, and reasons, to see if there are any which you
> feel should not be removed.

Whilst I'll not dispute that some settings really don't serve a purpose, they
were all added for a reason to begin with. At least some of the settings on
the list could easily form part of an advanced or even expert level of
settings.

> Display Channel Icon: Let the theme decide

Assumes that channel icons are always available/installed. We don't want to
restrict users to using one theme or another because they do/don't have
channel icons. We *might* assume that channel icons can be displayed if the
icon field of any record in the channel table is complete.

> Channels to display: causes problems when changed

I've experienced no issues when increasing this from the default. The value
depends on several factors including display size/type, user eyesight and
preference. Some people like a lower value with increased size whilst I
prefer a higher value so I can better scan and compare the listings with the
minimum of scrolling.

> Time blocks to display: causes problems when changed

As above.

> What to call unknown program: just pick something

If that something is better than the current default. I frequently have gaps
in the listings when channels are off-air, so changing this to Off-Air was
more meaningful.

> What category to give unknown program: just pick something

We should probably not display a category when the programme is unknown.

> Alternate clear saved
> position: J. Donavan Stanley's recommendation

As long as it defaults to OFF.

> Time offset for thumbnail preview images: most users probably don't change
> this since you cant get it perfectly right for all programs anyways

I use this, though I don't object to it being dropped as a setting the value
used should take passing values into account. In my case I use a 2 minute
soft padding ahead of any recording so the thumbnail offset should be at
least 180-240 seconds or padding+120 seconds.

> Reschedule higher priorities: J. Donavan Stanley's recommendation: "Allows
> more intuitive behavior based on user feedback.", Daniel Kristansson said
> "I don't think you can remove the reschedule higher priorities options."

I'm not sure what you are advocating for the default here. This is a MUST have
feature for me.

> Daniel has also suggested that these be made into backend options:
>   ATSC Signal threshold
>   Time limit for ATSC signal lock
>   HD Ringbuffer size (in kb)

Agreed.

> My appologies if this is not properly formatted on your email client.

Well it made replying more difficult, but apology accepted.

As far as other suggestions. I believe it was already mentioned in the project
proposal, but splitting settings into basic/advanced groups would make first
time configuration easier. I'd envision a basic/advanced tab on each settings
page to divide them but maintain the basic grouping.
--
Stuart Morgan