[mythtv] copyright notice in file

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Jun 1 20:28:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 21:32 +0200, Marc Kessels wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just got concerned, since I found the following statement:
> Copyright (c) 2004 Koninklijke Philips Electronics NV. All rights
> reserved.
>
> in the file root/trunk/mythplugins/mythvideo/mythvideo/videogallery.cpp
>
> what for kind of legal implications does this have?

I am not a lawyer, but it looks like none.
Here is the rest of the copyright notice:
   Based on "iconview.cpp" of MythGallery.

   This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
   under the terms of version 2 of the GNU General Public License
   as published by the Free Software Foundation.

iconview.cpp is licensed to the world, including to Philips, under
the the GNU General Public License, so any derivative works done
by Philips, like this, are not only licensed under the GPL v2 (like
the rest of the notice says), but additional terms like "All
rights reserved" have to be interpreted under the terms of the
GPL license on the original work, which allows you to ignore the
additional terms if they restrict you, the licensee, in ways which
the GPL would not. Additional terms may only grant you, the
licensee, additional rights not normally granted under the GPL.
(Binary modules and binary firmware are allowed in Linux and
proprietary programs may link to glibc under such additional terms.)

-- Daniel