[mythtv] Slow frontend GUI on Radeon 9600

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Mon Jan 30 07:10:26 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

at some point (can't remember when) my frontent GUI became awful slow.
I thought that it might be connected with upgrades for the Xserver, but
I just tried XFree86 4.3 and Xorg 6.8.2 and it looks as slow as with
Xorg 6.9 before.

I have no problems with video, it's just the GUI like the EPG screen
and graphical menu navigation which is slow. For example, switching
from one show to another in the EPG takes one second.

The box is an Athlon XP 2500 with a Radeon 9600, so I think that CPU
speed and 2D performance should not be an issue. X is configured to use
the native ATI drivers, no framebuffer.

I'm using SVN 8714, but it also occured with many older versions. I
have also read reports from other ATI users with the suggestion to
install fglrx. Is there a solution to get a fast frontend GUI with the
Xorg ATI drivers? Or, in case it's an X server issue, can anybody point
me to the right direction?

Thanks and regards,
Tino