[mythtv] Trying to debug seek problems

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sun Jan 29 03:11:48 UTC 2006

Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> writes:

> On Saturday 28 January 2006 20:28, David Abrahams wrote:
>> It's pretty common, when I hit the 'E' key while watching a recording,
>> for the indicator to end up at zero.  Likewise it's common for me to
>> end up back at the beginning of all video when I use the skip
>> forward/reverse keys.
> <snip>
>> As I said, this bug is apparently repeated through most of the
>> subclasses of VideoOutput, the exceptions being VideoOutputIvtv and
>> VideoOutputXv.  I suppose most people are using Xv and that's why it
>> hasn't been more widely reported.  Regardless, the repetition of this
>> code pattern strongly suggests that some refactoring is in order.
>
> No.  VideoOutputXv has the same "bug",

Well, it depends. When VideoOutputSubType() > XVideo it calls
PrepareFrameXvMC, where this->framesPlayed is never updated if buffer
turns out to be NULL.  So, is that the way it's supposed to be?

> but that's how the code is supposed to
> be.  VideoOutputIvtv doesn't even have analogous code.
>
> The problem is that VideoOutputQuartz::UpdatePauseFrame() isn't updating the
> scratch frame's frame number like it should, since it's using that style of
> pausing.

Okay, so how should it update the scratch frame's frame number?  And
why, if it's supposed to work that way, is it apparently perfect with
my change?  What is broken that I'm not seeing?

> This obviously is not a case for refactoring, since each output
> class can and does (XvMC and ivtv) need to handle this differently.

It's not obvious at all.

<soapbox>
Any time there's code repetition it's a case for refactoring.  If
there's a "style of pausing" that's used by multiple VideoOutput
subclasses, and it requires updating the scratch frame's frame number
in some particular way, it should have been factored out.  Had that
been done properly, this bug would never have appeared in the Mac
frontend without biting everyone else, too.  So it would have been
noticed and fixed immediately.  And of course, that's the
whole point of refactoring to eliminate code duplication.
</soapbox>

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting