[mythtv] Running SVN and stable backends side-by-side

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 22 20:20:40 UTC 2006

On 01/22/2006 02:26 PM, Ronald Pijnacker wrote:
> In thread http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/172837#172780
> someone mentioned writing a HOWTO for running svn and stable side-by-side
> on the same host.
> Is this in fact without risc? And if so, did someone finish the HOWTO?

Looks like you read up to page 3.  Page 4 says that it doesn't really
work:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_view_flat;post=171985;page=4;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;list=mythtv

You would have to maintain two copies of the database, meaning you would
only really use SVN by backing up your database, starting SVN, looking
at it, then stopping SVN, and restoring the backup of the database.  So,
if you did anything in the SVN copy (like changing configuration or
deleting a recording or whatever), your "stable" database copy would be
out of date and you can't "downgrade" the SVN databse to stable, so...

On the bright side, I (not a developer) think I might see 0.19 out there
on the horizon...

Mike