[mythtv] best way to add a new codec?

Brendan Cully brendan at kublai.com
Fri Jan 20 00:08:15 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm interested in adding support for a new codec (SPEG, a version of
xvid modified to adapt to available bandwidth, for better video
streaming). I'm pretty new to mythtv, so I thought I'd ask for
pointers before getting too far into the hacking. I'm currently
working my way out from NuppelVideoRecorder and trying to collect a
list of things I'll need to change.

I'd be grateful for any tips, especially from people who have already
added codecs. I guess the first question is, what all needs to be
touched to allow myth to transcode to a new codec? And the next
question is, what's the best way to interface with the codec? It's a
patch against xvidcore and I guess the options range from directly
calling the xvidcore library to running a pipe to a command-line
encoder...

thanks in advance,

Brendan