[mythtv] MythTV Usability Report

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Fri Jan 13 17:01:49 UTC 2006

Michael Freeman wrote:

> this would allow myth to exist on all-dhcp networks.
>
> and it would have saved me frustration when i first set up my
> backend...at first, the machine had a dhcp ip...but one night i was
> watching tv and it froze...after a few frustrating hours (most of
> which involved running back and forth between another tv so i could
> poke at the problem during ad breaks), i found out that the dhcp lease
> expired mid-show and my home router assigned the backend a new ip

Wrong. Install a non-broken DHCP server. The dhcp server you are using
is actually acting against the relevant dhcp RFC's. DHCP servers which
act according the RFC's will do their utmost not to change the IP
address at lease expiration. Unless you have it totally  misconfigured
in the sense that the pool of available IP addresses is lower than the
amount of present pieces of network aware equipment. That *could*
trigger such behaviour from a compliant DHCP server.

Rudy