[mythtv] MythTV Usability Report

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Mon Jan 9 05:46:34 UTC 2006

    Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 00:25:01 -0500
    From: Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu>

    On Monday 09 January 2006 00:19, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
    > Sure, Isaac presumably had his reasons for doing the work on the
    > mainline, even though it was a matter of some controversy even to
    > other developers.

    I asked the other developers _first_.  None cared if I disabled it.  Don't
    lie.

Don't assume that a misunderstanding is a lie.

I based this on memories of discussion on the -dev list asking why
this wasn't done on a branch.  Without going back and checking, I have
no idea if those involved in that discussion were developers or not.
Perhaps none of them were, and all the discussion about branching
happened out of sight of the list.  Maybe I'm just misremembering.

But in any event, that wasn't the -point- of my message.  My point is
that SVN is unstable, and it's advertised to be unstable, and it says,
to paraphrase, "If you don't want to live on the bleeding edge and you
want stability, don't use SVN."  These all sound entirely reasonable.
But it's probably not reasonable (as Kevin was apparently advocating)
to demand that new users live on that unstable edge to avoid being
yelled at when they give feedback on what is apparently the latest
stable release.  That's -all- I was trying to say.