[mythtv] MythTV Usability Report

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jan 9 03:31:16 UTC 2006

On Jan 8, 2006, at 10:03 PM, Craig Tinson wrote:

> Jono Bacon wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Firstly, thanks for MythTV. It is an incredible piece of software our
>> house is a better place with our MythTV box. Keep up the great work.
>>
>> For a while now I have been noting down little quirks and oddities in
>> MythTV. Although MythTV is incredibly usable and works very well,
>> fixing these problems would make it more intuitive and easier to use.
>> This list is certainly not exhaustive and although I have been
>> meaning
>> to do an exhaustive usability assessment, I have not had the time. As
>> such, these are major usability issues I have confronted.
>>
>> I would love to conduct a more in-depth usability test in the future
>> if that would be of interest. I write quite a bit about design,
>> usability and MythTV on my blog at www.jonobacon.org.
>>
>> I have put a code at the beginning of each issue for easily
>> referring to it.
>>
>> --> General
>>
>> * G1 - When watching a show, you should be able to hit the record
>> button to record the entire show if it has been watched from the
>> beginning and as such the live TV buffer contains the show.
>> * G2 - If you schedule a show to record, you can only watch the show
>> at the same time as recording it by first selecting Media
>> Library->Watch and then selecting a show. This is unintuitive - you
>> should just be able to watch TV like normal and be able to view the
>> channel while the show is recording.
>> * G3 - Switching between channels is far to slow - this slowness
>> makes
>> skipping through channels rather laborious.
>> * G4 - The term 'Optical Disks' in the menu is not particularly clear
>> - I suspect most people know its a Disk, but not optical.
>> * G5 - In the Upcoming recordings screen, the use of dimmed and
>> non-dimmed entries in entirely unclear - what do they signify? It is
>> certainly unclear to me and my other half. The other problem is that
>> many of the entries listed in Upcoming will not actually be taped
>> because it says the recording will be taped at a later time. If it is
>> not going to be taped, why is it still in the list?
>> * G6 - Many of the screens in MythTV (such as Upcoming and Set
>> Priorities) have specific letters in each entry. These letters
>> obviously refer to something specific, but there is no legend
>> displayed on the screen to say what they mean.
>> * G7 - There seems to be no simple way of cancelling all recordings
>> for a show other than finding it in the EPG and changing the
>> recording
>> option to not record the show. The ideal solution would be to have a
>> list of shows that are being recorded and then when you select a
>> show,
>> there are options such as Cancel this recording, Cancel all
>> recordings
>> etc.
>>
>> --> Electronic Programme Guide
>>
>> * EPG1 - When watching TV you will often want to view the EPG.
> [...]

People who have responded either don't like these suggestions or they
are already being implemented.

G1, G2, G3 are in svn
G4 - Is "optical disc" really that obscure?
G5 - This is more of a "I don't understand this" not "I would prefer
something else instead".
As a note to the original poster, it displays all the entries because
you have it set to display all entries. Press 2 and it will display
"important" entries. Says so at the bottom of the screen.
G6 - There is a legend. Again - look at the bottom of the screen when
something's highlighted to see what the letter next to it means
G7 - You can change the scheduling of a show anywhere you see the
show listed. Select it and select Recording options. It's worked
everywhere I've tried.
EPG1 - It already exists.
EPG2 - Set the EPG to automatically display when you enter LiveTV and
you have this functionality.
EPG3 - I hate scrolling menus. The fewer the better. It's in an
appropriate group and takes 30 seconds to change if you don't like it.
MM - I agree MythMusic needs a lot of work and agree with most of
these but disagree with others. I would add to this list that I would
like to see streaming music from 1 location without using an NFS
mount. I know this is low priority and will work around until it
happens.
MW1 - I don't want MythWeather to give me potentially out of date
information. I like that it grabs weather when I ask for it. Please
don't change this!
MW2 - No idea. I don't use an LCD.