[mythtv] Netowrked ATSC Tuner

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 8 19:52:37 UTC 2006

jafa wrote:

> Steve Adeff wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 08 January 2006 13:52, jafa wrote:
>>
>>> I am involved in a networked ATSC tuner (dual tuners, 100baseTX
>>> network).
>>>
>>> The video stream is UDP based and it has a TCP control channel. Two
>>> machines can independently control the two tuners if desired.
>>>
>>> I have just recently started playing with MythTV and I would like to
>>> add
>>> MythTV support.
>>>
>>> One approach could be to use a user-space app to receive the TS and
>>> create a loopback driver so it looks like a normal video capture
>>> device.
>>>
>>> Another approach would be to add support directly to MythTV. This would
>>> avoid looping through the kernel and would be easier for end-users.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> I am quite happy writing the code for it, or would be able to arrange
>>> samples if anyone was interested in helping out.
>>
>> why not just install a remote MythTV backend on the machine with the
>> ATSC tuners?
>
> The tuner is an embedded network device (like a home router) and it is
> not running a *nix style OS.
>
> It might be possible to add functions to the device to help MythTV,
> but it can't run the MythTV backend.

And, anyway, a lot of people have been asking for support of IPTV, which
sounds like it would be very similar (identical?) to the UPD approach
you're using, so if you code it up (or even a good starting point for
the IPTV guys), you'll make a lot of people happy.

Mike (not a dev, so please don't take this as an official position on
the subject :)