[mythtv] Mythmusic, MMX and i386 packages

Chris Hubball chris at hubball.org
Sun Jan 8 15:53:57 UTC 2006

Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong group, I think it lies in the void between
users and dev!

I've noticed that Mythmusic, in particular Goom, requires MMX to run at a
reasonable rate.  Unfortunately, most packages (I use Debian) tend to
build for the i386 architecture and so the HAVE_MMX flag isn't enabled.

I know that you can detect MMX at runtime, so would it be possible for
someone to change Goom to always compile in MMX for i386 and detect it's
presence at runtime?

I think this would make a huge performance difference for those of us
using pre-compiled packages.

Regards,
Chris.