[mythtv] Firewire Problems (DCT6200)

Jeremy Muhlich jmuhlich at bitflood.org
Thu Jan 5 18:38:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 09:08 -0500, Steve Adeff wrote:
> And what firewire chipset are you using? I'm trying to track down the problems
> people have with firewire and one thing that seems to keep popping its head
> up is the VIA firewire chipsets. You said you had it working except for

I have a Shuttle box with a Via chipset, and as long as test-mpeg2 spews
data, myth will always be able to record video.  (Bryan said test-mpeg2
does work for him)

The DCT6200 does seem to need a little prodding upon initial firewire
connection (including myth backend reboot), but once I get it rolling it
keeps working as long as everything stays powered and connected.  This
info has been posted to the list before but here it is again (-n is the
node number):

plugctl -n 0 oPCR[0].channel=63
plugctl -n 0 oPCR[0].bcast_connection=1
plugctl -n 0 oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=1 # plugreport will still show 0!

If it still won't sent video after that, sometimes I can make it work by
forcing a firewire bus reset with gscanbus.  In a few cases, I've needed
to power cycle the cable box and rerun plugctl.  I haven't been able to
nail down a sequence of operations that makes the box work 100% of the
time after connection, but just those plugctl commands does the job most
of the time.

Does anyone with a non-Via chipset need to do this plugctl junk?

 -- Jeremy