[mythtv] Firewire Problems (DCT6200)

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 16:23:24 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 11:01, Bryan Murphy wrote:
> > When you say upgraded to the latest Ubuntu, what exactly did you upgrade?
> >
> > Did you recompile MythTV and the required FireWire packages?
> >
> > And what firewire chipset are you using? I'm trying to track down the
> > problems people have with firewire and one thing that seems to keep
> > popping its head up is the VIA firewire chipsets. You said you had it
> > working except for complete failure requiring reboot after a few weeks,
> > which is a new case for my
>
> I'm fairly certain I rebuilt everything MythTV related from scratch.
> These are the steps I followed:
>
> 1. sudo apt-get distupgrade from Hoary to Breezy
>
> 2. spend a day fixing nvidia driver issues
>
> 3. temporarily rename libraw1394 and libavc1394 in /usr/lib (this way I
> know for sure that mythtv is using my installed versions)
>
> 4. rebuild firewire libraries libraw, libavc, and libiec to
> /usr/local/lib (make uninstall, make distclean, configure, make, make
> install)

these are the versions I have running, I think are the latest, and will work:
libavc1394-0.5.1
libiec61883-1.0.0
libraw1394-1.2.0

> 5. rebuild MythTV (svn update, make distclean, configure, make, make
> install)
>
> 6. rename and restore libraw1394 and libavc1394 in /usr/lib

why did you do this step? If possible, since you compiled them from scratch,
you can remove the packaged versions.

> There are a few 1394 related kernel modules installed.  I haven't a clue
> where they came from and if they are the correct versions or not:
>
> raw1394                26348  2
> dv1394                 18764  0
> ohci1394               30644  1 dv1394
> ieee1394               90936  4 raw1394,dv1394,ohci1394,sbp2

looks correct, basically they're included with the kernel, so you should be
fine here.

> 0000:02:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host
> Controller (rev 80)

Did you ever look into why it would stop working after two weeks?

> And it does look like I've got a VIA Firewire interface.

but previously, it was working fine when it did work?

> I can also try another firewire interface.  I may have a PCI firewire
> card lying around somewhere.

Well, it should be possible to get it working with your VIA firewire since it
did work before. I would be curious though, if moving to a non VIA firewire
chipset solves the 2week or any other issues you may have had?

--
Steve