[mythtv] MythMusic GUI changes

Wendy Seltzer wseltzer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 02:09:31 UTC 2006

I'd be happy to help test, as many of these features would be useful to me.
(Incidentally, I too have a mainly classical collection, but I've coopted
the tags so Artist=Composer, Album=Work, and Title=Performers, after munging
tracks together so each work is a single file.)

--Wendy

On 1/2/06, Justin Cherniak <compwiz312 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul, I'm wondering if it would be possible to add an additional view, for
> us classical music listeners.  Namely, a Composer list.  I personally have
> my music library managed by iTunes where I used almost every tag available,
> however being able to browse by composer would be absolutely wonderful (the
> artist tag contains the performer, which isn't very useful to browse by).
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Justin
>
> On 1/2/06, Paul Volkaerts <paul.volkaerts at lineone.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi;
> >
> > I have been working on some GUI improvements in MythMusic -- its coming
> > along ok & hopefully will finish before my holidays do, so wanted to check
> > firstly that the owner of this code does not object and secondly that I'm
> > not repeating what someone else is doing.
> >
> > The look and feel has not changed much; but as a taster -- here is what
> > I have so far.
> >
> > 1. I've built several views into the tree. By default you see the
> > "Active Play Queue" but at full width (equivelant to show-whole-tree being
> > false) because I don't like the way that you lose 1/4 of the screen when
> > show-whole-tree is enabled.   Up and down work as before but left and right
> > cycle between
> >         Active playlist
> >         Artist list
> >         Genre list
> >         Playlist list
> >         Search facility
> >
> > 2. In any of these screens you can use up/down/select to browse the
> > catalog, browsing into Artists/Albums etc as you wish
> >
> > 3. In any of these screens hitting PLAY will play that item (e.g. on an
> > artist plays everything by that artist etc).
> >
> > 4. The search facility lets you type a few characters and it lists all
> > the artists that match.  To do this, I implemented a new Myth widget called
> > a MythKeyboard, which shows you a picture of a keyboard and lets you use
> > up/down/left/right/select to type.  For good measure I have also attached
> > this to MythLineEdit and MythRemoteLineEdit types, so hitting MENU in any
> > text input field now displays a keyboard.
> >
> > 5. Some suprtficial changes - adding icons, and a few minor changes to
> > the theme (removing the play,ffwd icons to make the artwork bigger), though
> > there is no code changes there, just theme.
> >

> > Paul

Wendy Seltzer
http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/