[mythtv] Annoyance/Suggestion with thumbnails display on recording in progress

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Feb 27 01:56:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 18:44 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/25/2006 05:45 PM, gad at jetcom.org wrote:
> > 2) Try once to get the image, let the backend do it's thing and create
> > it.. but don't wait for it, or try 12 times to get the image.
> >
> > If there is no image available now, lets jsut put nothing up. This
> > makes sense to me, and would greatly improve the useability of the FE,
> > especially when scrolling through multiple recordings in progress.
> IIRC, this is where Daniel was going with all these fixes, but he didn't
> have time to complete it before 0.19.  So, my suggestion is either a)
> patience or b) patches.
I prefer option B :)

The code is still in SVN for this, if you uncomment this:
//#define USE_PREV_GEN_THREAD
In programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp a background thread will be
created and used to generate the previews. However, this causes crashes
for some people, and until that is figured out the code will remain
disabled. Isaac has suggested that it is probably because the socket
handling code is broken. I haven't looked at this yet, but that is
the first place I would look for the problem.

-- Daniel