[mythtv] [ATrpms-users] mythtv database schema upgrade 1108->1109: Duplicate column name 'generic' (was: Upgrade problems)

M. Barnabas Luntzel mark at luntzel.com
Thu Feb 23 20:12:08 UTC 2006

On Feb 23, 2006, at 1:23 AM, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:04:13PM -0800, Merlisk wrote:
>> 2006-02-22 21:31:43.581 Current Schema Version: 1108
>> 2006-02-22 21:31:43.590 Newest Schema Version : 1123
>> [...]
>> 2006-02-22 21:31:43.606 Upgrading to schema version
>> 1109
>> 2006-02-22 21:31:43.608 DB Error (Performing database
>> upgrade):
>> Query was: ALTER TABLE oldrecorded ADD COLUMN generic
>> Error was: Driver error was [2/1060]:
>> QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
>> Database error was:
>> Duplicate column name 'generic'
>> new version: 1109
>> 2006-02-22 21:31:43.608 Database Schema upgrade
>> FAILED, unlocking.
>> 2006-02-22 21:31:43.609 Couldn't upgrade database to
>> new schema
> This was mentioned here before
> http://lists.atrpms.net/pipermail/atrpms-users/2006-February/ 
> 004540.html
> and was also discussed upstream
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2006-February/045366.html
> which also contains a solution.

I'd say it is pretty far from a solution - it requires installing  
from source and hacking dbcheck.cpp, and it still doesn't work due to  
network mismatch errors noted below.

I've put together a sql file that will bypass the earlier schema  
issues, but I'm running into network protocol mismatch errors when I  
try to run atrpms mythtv: 26 on the backend, 27 on the frontend, with  
atrpms packages. as far as I can tell the protocol version is set in  
mythcontext.h. how could the frontend get out of sync with the  
backend, when installing from atrpms? what am I missing here. is some  
version information being kept in the database?

here is some more info:

[mark at toecutter ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/mythbackend

[mark at toecutter ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/mythfrontend

trying to go to media library:

backend log:

2006-02-23 11:55:39.330 MainServer::HandleVersion - Client speaks  
protocol version 27 but we speak 26!

frontend error:

2006-02-23 11:55:39.331 Protocol version mismatch  

so my question is, is this an upstream issue, db issue, packaging issue?

here is the sql that bypassed the schema upgrade errors:


DELETE FROM settings WHERE value='DBSchemaVer';
INSERT INTO settings (value, data, hostname) values ('DBSchemaVer',  
1109, NULL);

UPDATE program SET generic = 1 WHERE ((programid = '' AND subtitle =  
'' AND description = '') OR (programid <> '' AND category_type =  
'series' AND  program.programid LIKE '%0000'));



I ran these before running atrpms mythbackend, and the schema  
upgraded (from 1108 which I explicitly set to 1109 to bypass the  
barfing on duplicate columns) to 1126 without error. But then I ran  
into the above network protocol mismatch.

This seems to be a very particular error, having to do with some  
combination of upgrading in the past, which is why it is not  
widespread (three people are dealing with it that I know of,  
including myself).

and since .19 went into stable, there's no way to get back to 18.1  
(that I know of...) through package managers.  I'm certain Mr.  
Merlisk would like to have access to the .18.1 rpms until this is  
sorted out.


More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list