[mythtv] tracking the cause of channel change slowness

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Feb 20 17:37:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 12:12 -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Monday 20 February 2006 12:10, Pekka Jääskeläinen wrote:
> > So if you think this kind of patch could be accepted, I could
> > implement it the next time I have free time. If you have pointers for
> > how you would do it, I'm listening,
> > as it improves the possibilities to get the patch merged without rewriting
> > it completely.
> Why not save the scaled images to disk like the rest of mythtv does?  That
> way, they're only rescaled once.

I think that is a much better idea...

My approach to this would be to first speed up the reinit with
by caching the scaled images. If that is not sufficient, cache
the channel resolution and aspect ratio, so that we can use a
matching dummy recording. If that is not sufficient, then start
thinking about things with negative side-effects like lazy
reinitialization.

-- Daniel