[mythtv] 0.19 gentoo ebuild and "error was encountered while displaying video"

Michael Freeman mlfreeman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:29:15 UTC 2006

Why would I now be seeing "error was encountered while displaying video"
when I tune to an encrypted QAM256 feed from my cable provider with
0.19from a gentoo ebuild?
I get stuck there...if I mistakenly tune to an encrypted feed (or Crapcast
moves that channel from unencrypted to encrypted), I have to go all the way
to mythtv-setup and change the card's starting channel to something else.

(How am I supposed to wade through the morass of unlabeled QAM channels if
myth drops me back to the main menu and refuses to let me tune off it every
time I hit an encrypted one?)

Besides, said dialog is about as useful as the black screen I used to get on
encrypted digital cable channels...I think it's even gramatically
incorrect...I think it should be "An error was encountered while displaying
video." not "Error was encountered..."