[mythtv] LiveTV program change question

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:08:59 UTC 2006

On 2/6/06, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 17:04 -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > is the stream capture stopped between programs such that stream data
> > is lost? Up until today it seemed as though the transition was
> > seamless though with an occasional 1-2sec pause/freeze of video, but
> > just now I noticed that it looks like 1-2sec of data was lost at the
> > program change. I'm wondering if this is something I should look for
> > again as a possible bug or if its supposed to work this way?
>
> The recording is seamless, but the playback is not entirely seamless
> with DTV recorders. Some somewhat invasive work has to be done to
> make it safely seamless. The seamless playback was been explicitly
> disabled because the recording params can actually change radically
> at the transition point, and we don't cope well with that (this
> non-seamless behaviour is a hackish fix for the problem, and is
> referenced in an open ticket for the "crash on transition on recording
> param change problem"). We also lose some frames on resolution and
> aspect ratio changes, I plan to fix both these problems together at
> some point.
>
> In practice, I've found the transition to be pretty close to seamless
> even with DTV recordings (it is the frames in flight that are lost,
> so 1 second should be the absolute maximum lost). Depending on the
> audio and the amount of movement on screen, I often don't notice it.
>
> More often than not the transition is during a commercial break
> anyway :)
>
> -- Daniel

interesting. Like I said, normally it is seamless, which is why this
one instance surprised me. I've noticed it be seamless on all three of
my different inputs, but this one time (verified with a rewind) it
wasn't, so I wasn't sure. Since this whole area is something on your
radar to improve I'll leave it be since at least its not crashing =D

--
Steve