[mythtv] EPIA M10k - XvMC: Very high CPU (even when paused!!)

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Thu Dec 28 21:07:26 UTC 2006

Justin Hornsby wrote:
> On 28/12/06, Colin Guthrie <mythtv at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>
> Up until mythtv 0.20 I was using minimyth for my epia based frontend,
> but it had serious trouble playing back dvb recordings which have
> audio description tracks.  It only had problems if I was using xvmc
> (not using xvmc isnt an option due to the very high cpu usage) and
> deinterlacing.  Playing the same recordings with timestretch enabled
> worked (and looked) great.
>
> The problem showed itself as momentary pauses in playback every 20
> secs or so, and mythfrontend -v playback showed me lots of NVP
> prebuffering pauses & dropping frames to maintain audio sync.

Have you tried the latest test build of MiniMyth> Several people were
having ongoing problems with similar symptoms, and the latest test
release contains changes that fixed the symptoms for several of us.

One of the MiniMyth users did some good detective work trying to track
down the cause of stuttering that he was having on radio channels. One
thing that he discovered was that the problem would go away when
mythfrontend was run as an unprivileged user.

In addition to solving the stuttering that he was seeing with radio
channels, it solved the stuttering that some of us were seeing with the
newer NVIDIA drivers.

Therefore, the lastest test build runs mythfrontend as a unprivileged user.

Of course, at some point, it would be interesting to figure out the
underlying cause. The stuttering with the newer NVIDIA drivers would
happen when running as root even with the real-time threads check-box
unchecked, so I do not believe that is the cause. However, I have not
bothered to look into it yet.