[mythtv] EPIA M10k - XvMC: Very high CPU (even when paused!!)

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 17:50:58 UTC 2006

On 28/12/06, Colin Guthrie <mythtv at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > I'm currently trying to see if I can get XvMC working with mplayer but
> > it would appear to need patching first with openchrome patches...
> > looking at that now.
>
> Just following up my own message stating that I've now compiled mplayer
> and what was previously taking about 50-60%+ to play is now playing
> nicely in xvmc at about 10-15%ish. Nice :)
>
> Still dunno why Myths NVP is being such a hog. Any help appreciated.
>
> Col.

I see pretty much the same effect on my epia M10k-based frontend.
Xine, playing a recording (DVB MPEG2) takes less than 20% CPU with
xvmc, whereas mythfrontend is using around 50%.

Running mythtv 0.19 wasn't so resource hungry as I recall, so I think
it's definitely a change since then which is doing it.

What we need to do is build mythtv with debugging support enabled &
track it down properly - to get to the bottom of it, that is.  I can
live with it, but it'd be nice to have it nailed so to speak.

--
Justin Hornsby
Moderator of www.mythtvtalk.com