[mythtv] Some ideas about mythtv and input devices

Keith Layne keith at laynes.org
Wed Dec 27 15:57:36 UTC 2006

Well, lircrc is kind of a pain by itself, but I was actually referring to
managing it through the frontend.  The lirc source probably has lex/yacc
files for the config (I hope), but if you use lirc for anything else (xine
for example) you would have to make sure that you didn't squash those
entries.  Plus you don't want to kill comments etc.

I guess it's an advantage that the keybindings are stored in the db (I
assume this is true, anyway).  I read somewhere in some setup instructions
that it's a good idea to link ~/.lircrc to ~/.mythtv/lircrc.  I did that,
got lirc working, and promptly accidentally wrote over everything while
configuring lirc support for xine.  Admittedly, I'm an idiot sometimes, but
that's the kind of thing that we should be able to avoid.  The lirc
interface lets you specify a config file...what does anyone thing about
building a lircrc on the fly from the db and feeding that to the lirc
interface?  It might certainly make some things easier, and follow the model
of the keybindings.  This could all fall under mythcontrol.

Thoughts?

Keith