[mythtv] Unicode support in exec() calls. (bug #2818 submitted)

andrei at tanas.ca andrei at tanas.ca
Wed Dec 20 21:04:54 UTC 2006

Hi all,

uint myth_system(const QString &command, int flags) (used to launch external tools, specifically tested with mplayer) function accepts QString as a parameter, but in the actuall call to execl strips non-ASCII characters from the string. The end result (again, noticed and tested mainly in MythGallery?, assumed to have similar implications in MythVideo?, MythArchive? and possibly other places) - if directory names contain non-ASCII characters (Cyrillic in my case), the external applications fail to launch because, for example, path "/home/pictures/видео.mpg" is converted to "/home/pictures/?????.mpg". Simple conversion to UTF8 instead of ASCII (backwards compatible with ASCII), solves the issue.

I submitted ticket #2818 with patch file included. Your comments please?