[mythtv] [mythtv-users] xvmc can't play 720p content at 1080i (fwd)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Dec 7 00:23:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 09:59 -0500, Daniel Walton wrote:
> Hey devs,
> Any tips on how to troubleshoot this?  I've tried all the tips mentioned at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC#Prebuffering_Pause_or_stutter_with_Nvidia
>
> I can reproduce this consistently...if someone can point me to some instructions
> on how to profile the cpu usage of the frontend I'll give that a shot.

  http://www.cuymedia.net/doxygen-dev-docs/html/

Look for the link "Profiling MythTV".

It is probably not something that will turn up in the profile
if you are using the latest svn head or 0.20-fixes; rather it
is due to the low number of XvMC buffers on your hardware. I
started to work on a fix for this but I haven't had the time
to get it into a usable state. The cheapest solution until then
is to buy a P4 2.8 Ghz or better for the HDTV frontend and not
use XvMC.

I haven't profiled XvMC in a while though, so something may
turn up.. Make sure you profile the mythtv-vid branch since
there are some improvements there that haven't made it into
svn head yet.

-- Daniel