[mythtv] Dynamic Ringbuffer and prebuffering pauses.

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Sat Dec 2 11:39:56 UTC 2006

Been doing some testing and tuning of the dynamic ringbuffer.

On some of the HD content I have the ringbuffer decreases are
too aggressive given the transistion from low activity scenes
to high activity scenes. Tweaking the point at which the
ringbuffer decreases alleviates this problem.

One thing I have noticed while testing is that if the video is
lagging behind then frames are dropped to make the video catch up.
This is what I would expect to happen.

The problem i've noticed is that there is a delay between
the decision to drop frames and the frames being dropped.

This leads to NVP overshooting the targeted sync, and then
not having enough video frames to display, thus leading to
a prebuffer pause.

This is suspect may be the cause of the often reported
prebuffer pause issues.

Comments?

Stuart