[mythtv] ffmpeg SWSCALE!

Yeasah Pell yeasah at schwide.com
Thu Aug 31 02:08:17 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/30/06 21:54, Yeasah Pell wrote:
>

>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>

>>> Nonetheless, there is
>>> additional information in the image that can be extracted through an
>>> appropriate reconstruction process (and can result in a much better
>>> image given 4x the pixels for output).
>>>

>> Of course, people's eyes vary, and one is not always able to get the
>> ideal screen size or viewing distance for various real-world reasons.
>> But if it's between setting up a display that is 4x the resolution of
>> the source content, and setting up a correctly sized and distanced
>> screen, I would think the latter would inevitably be more cost effective
>> (I don't even want to know what the price of a 4x 1080p display would be
>> -- 7680x4320? ha!)
>>

> That's 4x the pixels = 2x the pixels in each of 2 dimensions = 3840x2160
> for 1080i/p.

Ah, gotcha, I misread you. Actually, from a signal filtering
perspective, a 2x discrete signal isn't all *that* much better anyway.

The key, as I mentioned, is simply getting the aliased detail smaller
than you can see (it's impossible to get rid of it on a discrete output
device, no matter how high you make the resolution). It's possible to do
that with a properly set up 1:1 screen though, but you have to do the
calculations for screen size and viewing distance, and know the
capabilities of your eye.