[mythtv] ffmpeg SWSCALE!

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 23:12:35 UTC 2006

On 8/30/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> So, does that mean that Blu-Ray (BDROM) will fail?  (I definitely
> wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.  After all, technology that
> survives rarely does so on merit.)

My prediction, from what information I've gathered, is that HD-DVD
will win the 1080p movie market. Blu-Ray may keep a foot hold in the
professional ROM R/W market due to its large capactiy, but I feel for
home users HD-DVD will be the overall winner.

> But, if done right, DVD's in 720x480 anamorphic widescreen on a 1080p TV
> can give nearly the same quality output as HDTV in 1080i/p on a 1080p TV...

rotfl! thats because all you've see is broadcast 1080i, which does not
come close to image quality that HD-DVD provides. HD-DVD, on a true
1080p display will blow. your. mind. Its truely a site to behold, even
PBS/InHD/HDNet can't come close to the bitrate and color palette that
HD-DVD will provide. HD-DVD also has the honor of holding uncompressed
surround sound. Where DVD's are AC3/DTS encodings (of usually
processed) theatre audio, HD-DVD will hold the uncompressed audio (and
from what I understand, unprocessed from what I hear as well.

You just can't "make up" the information by upsampling.

On 8/30/06, Petr Stehlik <pstehlik at sophics.cz> wrote:
> I thought it was obvious that nobody would be re-releasing all movies on
> HD-DVD. I don't say they won't re-release - they actually will, but not
> everything released so far. Maybe few per cent at best...

True, in the short term I think HD-DVD will live the live DVD did in
its early years. But now, 10+ years down the road practically
everything is on DVD. A lot of films that are being shown on TV in HD
now are new transfers, and HD-DVD 1080p versions will most likely be
made from these new transfers. HD tv shows could also very well be
re-released on HD-DVD (and if kept in their broadcast form MPEG2 they
could probably fit on the same number of discs as the original DVD

> Besides, LCD TVs are here now while HD-DVD will come much later - and
> will eventually feature M$ DRM so we won't play them in Myth at all.

It's still questionable how the whole DRM thing will shake out.
Apparently the DRM on HD-DVD is not a whole lot stronger than it was
on DVD, so perhaps eventually linux *will* be able to play them.

In the end, it still makes sense to implement swscaler in MythTV.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -