[mythtv] firewire tester

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 01:02:39 UTC 2006

On 8/19/06, Jim Westfall <jwestfall at surrealistic.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Attached is a firewire tester I wrote up this evening.  I would like to
> get a few firewire folks to give it a try.  It still needs a bit of clean
> up, but should be mostly functional.
>
> It allows testing of both p2p and broadcast connections, as well as
> attempting to fix up broadcast connections.

Jim,

This has a lot of potential.

I have a SA3250HD, so am forced to use p2p.  I managed to wedge the
1394 data feed by trying to tune a "copy never" channel.  At that
point I could repeatedly run your tester, and get:

./firewire_tester -p -n 0 -v
raw1394: Allocating handle, port 0.
Action: Test P2P connection, node 0, channel 0
P2P: Creating, node 0, channel 0
P2P: Testing...Failed
P2P: Disconnecting.
raw1394: Releasing handle.

If I then reset the 1394 bus using 1394commander, and then use your tester:

./firewire_tester -p -n 0 -v
raw1394: Allocating handle, port 0.
Action: Test P2P connection, node 0, channel 0
P2P: Creating, node 0, channel 0
P2P: Testing...Success, 345 packets received
P2P: Disconnecting.
raw1394: Releasing handle.

At that point, using test-mpeg2 always seems to generate data.

I have not tried rebooting my backend yet, but so far it seems to be
very consistent -- Resetting the 1394 bus, followed by your tester,
seems to get the data flowing reliably.

Thanks,

John