[mythtv] Commerial detection possibility?

Zach White zwhite-mythtv-dev at darkstar.frop.org
Sat Aug 19 03:17:42 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 08:22:35PM -0600, Joe Ripley wrote:
> That's true... commercials also seem to have a higher volume than the actual
> program as well.  This is just me judging on my own hearing.  I've never
> actually done any analysis...    yet.

This is actually really easy to prove. While watching a show with
commercial skipping off, turn the volume down to where you can still hear
but you can't make out what is being said. Wait for a commercial to start.
You'll find you can understand what they're saying in the commercial just
fine.

I don't know, however, if it's enough of a difference to measure. Would
a show that has a loud section (think action movie with lots of explosions,
a lover's quarrel in a drama, etc) trigger this detection?

Perhaps a scoring system is in order? I would guess that between the
current methods and the ideas being proposed in this thread that a scoring
system might achive the best matching. I don't know how feasable it is,
I'm just throwing out an idea for someone who actually has the knowledge
to implement to consider.

-Zach