[mythtv] Simulate TV-card ?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Aug 8 06:31:39 UTC 2006

* On Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 09:13:23PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> We use vmware extensively at work.  I certainly have access to possibly
> create these appliances.  I haven't tried using a USB capture device
> (don't have one) in a VM and running a real mythbackend to see if it
> would work but the jobqueue idea is certainly interesting.  Is there a
> minimum installation needed to run that?  I'm thinking of a very small
> Linux installation that can boot and run jobqueue.  Any pointers?

We use ESX quite a bit at work and I've also been a Workstation user
since before they released 1.0.

Here's part of the first license file I had from them:

	ProductID = "VMware for Linux"
	ProductType = "0.10 Beta"
	Expiration = "1999-5-21"

It's come a long way. :)

For my OS installs, I'm one of those guys who usually goes by the
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto.  My mythjobqueue VM has a 1GB
virtual disk and 512MB of RAM.  The recordings are out on NFS so it
doesn't need a lot of storage.

I'm using about 600MB of disk space on that 1GB drive, but that could
be cut down to 400 or less probably if I wanted to clean up a little.  No
reason to have things like gtk, *spell, asound, etc. libraries taking up
space, but the image is small enough where there's not much incentive to
go lower unless I wanted to run it off a USB stick or something like that.

I could cut down on the memory as well since I don't care if the data is
cached.  128MB would be enough.  My myth boxes all run an upgraded version
of RedHat 9.  It's a fairly slim install even with Qt 3.3 installed.
No gnome or kde or anything fancy, just the minimum to get Myth running.

--
Chris