[mythtv] feedback from guide providers?

Fri Aug 4 05:36:48 UTC 2006

Hi all,

   I maintain one of the Australian XMLTV grabber scripts.  I've just
been talking with one of the data providers, and we were thinking of
a way to provide feedback from the data provider to the user.  At the
moment, we're putting in <message></message> tags into the XMLTV
data.  When the grabber gets such a tag it then spits it out to
standard error.  That approach will cause the output to show up if
mythfilldatabase (mfd) is run from a terminal, but the feedback will
be lost in normal mythtv operation.

   So, does anyone have any ideas for a better approach?

   One possibility would be to leave the <message> tags in the data
passed on to mfd and then have mfd log them - I'm not sure if this is
any better than the stderr approach.  Otherwise they could be stored
in the DB somewhere and a hypothetical "MythNotificationSystem" could
bring them to the user's attention.  Seems like a lot of work for
what I expect to be very rare messages.  (The current example is,
"we're changing URLs, please update your grabber" - something that
people will currently only notice after they start running out of
guide data.)

Thoughts?

Will      :-}