[mythtv] mythconverg on RAM drive?

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Thu Aug 3 01:17:07 UTC 2006

> Has it ever been considered to store the mythconverg database
> on a RAM drive with periodic updates to a harddrive for backup?

	Lots of options have been considered.
(most recent MySQL Lite - it wasn't faster!)

	The main problem with something like this is that
it removes functionality. A memory buffer is only
easily accessible from the local machine, and MythTV
is a client-server system. How will my slave backend
and Mac laptop frontend access the RAM drive?

	This would also be very hard to implement -
there are SQL statements sprinkled through the code.
Unless you were planning on keeping the SQL interface.

	If you really want the database in RAM,
there is probably a way of setting up MySQL to do that.
Just move /var/lib/mysql (or similar) to /dev/ram0,
restart MySQL, and do some testing.

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|"People say I'm strange, does it
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia |       make me a stranger?