[mythtv] MFD Questions...

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Apr 25 13:06:27 UTC 2006

Jochen Kühner wrote:
> i think every music client has his own music location, it gets it from
> MusicLocation in the settings table. So every client can add music from
> differnet dirs, so also the musicmetadata should contain a field with the
> hostname. I think we can add a field to mythmusic configuration if the
> hostname should be ignored or not when someone would use the old style...

I'm not sure you are correct here. I think the MusicLocation setting is
just to allow different mount paths on different frontends of ultimately
the same "universal music bank" stored e.g. on an NFS server.

The scan will remove metadata entries for files no longer in found in
the filesystem hense the overall contents in the database will be the
result of running the last scan.

So as you can see adding the hostname to the metadata is not as trivial
as you think.

That said, having just looked at the code, I can see a bug that will
prevent the delete operation succeeding for if the MusicLocation is
different!! Rather than use a unique metadata id, it deletes based on
the filename using the MusicLocation as a root and thus doesn't find the
data.

If tho' e.g. you had two frontends, with local paths /mnt/audio which
you used as your MusicLocation on both machines, the global metadata
would only ever represent the contents of the machine which last ran the
"Scan for new Music" operation (which is the intended behaviour).

Therefore, I would strongly suggest leaving adding a hostname field just
now until we get a few more fundamentals out of the way (like fixing
that bug in particular!)

> and i think the work on the mfd should go forward... so my main interest is
> on bugfixing this...

I agree that MFD is the future, but as Thor (who originally developed
MFD) said, he wanted work to initially continue with MythMusic and MFD
can lag behind and catch up every now and then with the latest
improvements in MM. Over the last couple of years the lag has been
non-existant due to the lack of development on MM, so it was fairly easy
to keep the two in sync!

Col.

--

|     Colin Guthrie      |