[mythtv] Unskippable ads???? Nah!

David Matthews dm at prolingua.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 13:50:29 UTC 2006

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/04/19/philips_enforced_ads_patent/
>
> I trust we will be silently ignoring these "flags" if this patent ever
> comes to anything?

What I thought was interesting was that they were using MHP for this.
We already have services in the UK that require MHEG to play: the most
obvious being BBC Parliament where the video is sent as an MPEG private
stream and needs the MHEG application to select it by component tag.

If presentation of the MPEG streams is controlled by an application I
could imagine a situation where the broadcaster sent an MHP/MHEG
application which used a real-time timer to switch away from the MPEG
streams to an advertisement for some period.  Since the time would be
independent of the stream rate simply fast forwarding the streams
wouldn't skip the ad.

If this is what is meant it would be the broadcasters who would have to
pay royalties to Philips if they wanted to use this.

David