[mythtv] Preview of my MusicPatch for Mythweb/Mythmusic....

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Apr 15 21:20:54 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
>>http://colin.guthr.ie/content/view/6/35/
>

> whoa, thats huge. Let me give you my thoughts on this...

Yeah I know... I still like the idea, but doubt I'll have any way to do
it anytime soon. :(

> I only use linux on my computers. Except for my Xbox which I run XBMC
> on and currently use for playing music as it is much better suited
> than MythMusic (and has some great visualizations that, aherm,
> work...). I use amarok to handle my ipod.

Yeah, I've heard people rave about XBMC in terms of it's Music playing
capabilities... It would be nice if MM could get as good.

> I'm excessively compulsive about my music tagging. I won't let
> anything enter my library that I haven't properly tagged

+1 :)

> (and sadly
> there are no good linux apps for this, so I'm forced to keep an old
> ThinkPad with W2000 around for my music tagging). I then place it into
> my heirarchal directory structure that I developed. This makes it easy
> for me to maintain and I can use any program that lets me either
> browse for music by directory (xbmc, mythtmusic) or any program that
> uses tags to build its own library (ie Amarok, itunes, XBMC, etc).

I've found a few good taggers along the way, but I usually end up
writing shell scripts that do changes for me which can be time consuming.

> that said, while I like your idea for the MetaLibrarian, I think you
> should persue it outside of any single app.

Yes I agree, but it's unlikely to happen anytime soon. The bit I was
going to add to MM was with different views to the underlying data. If I
ever do get round to creating the MetaLibrarian then the structure would
still fit.

> as for changes to MythMusic, I'd love to see changes to the interface,
> here are some posts I've made and some threads that have discussed
> this area:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/170978
>
> and one concept I came up with last year:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/165767?#165767

What ever happened to Paul's patches? Were they abandoned do you know?

I remember reading that thread and getting quite excited. I think I even
said as much somewhere in there ;)

Col

--

|     Colin Guthrie      |