[mythtv] Preview of my MusicPatch for Mythweb/Mythmusic....

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 19:43:42 UTC 2006

On 4/15/06, Colin Guthrie <mythtv at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> > I notice this is not a patch, what would be the proper way to build
> > mythmusic with this? I don't plan on using the mythweb side of things,
> > is it a requirement to go through mythweb or can I just build the
> > mythmusic and still take advantage of the database improvements?
>
> Untar'ing the file will overwrite a few key files in mythmusic:
> dbcheck.cpp, main.cpp, metadata.cpp playlist.cpp and smartplaylist.cpp.
> If you are running SVN then svn diff will then give you a patch...
> Personally I'd prefer a diff to SVN head too (this untar/overwrite
> method is similar to how Joomla releases patches which always annoyed me
> but is totally understandable to deal with windows users and webservers
> - ohhh going OT ;) )

ok, I'll give it a go

> > Also, Colin, I look forward to your work on mythmusic's interface, I
> > was wondering if you had an outline of what you planned to do for
> > improving the views. I know there were a few threads back in the day
> > regarding this area, I'm hoping to get an idea of how much your going
> > to change.
>
> Not really. I did have a plan a while ago called MetaLibrarian and it's
> really just a scaled down version of that built into Myth directly.
> While I still like the concept of doing a MetaLibrarian project at some
> point, time is not my friend at the moment... :)
>
> http://colin.guthr.ie/content/view/6/35/

whoa, thats huge. Let me give you my thoughts on this...

I only use linux on my computers. Except for my Xbox which I run XBMC
on and currently use for playing music as it is much better suited
than MythMusic (and has some great visualizations that, aherm,
work...). I use amarok to handle my ipod.

I don't really do the whole save a playlist thing. I prefer to choose
what I want to play, load it up in some sort of queue for playing now
and then clear it later. This works well in XBMC because I have my
music sorted well on my harddrive and XBMC's filtering works really
well.

I'm excessively compulsive about my music tagging. I won't let
anything enter my library that I haven't properly tagged (and sadly
there are no good linux apps for this, so I'm forced to keep an old
ThinkPad with W2000 around for my music tagging). I then place it into
my heirarchal directory structure that I developed. This makes it easy
for me to maintain and I can use any program that lets me either
browse for music by directory (xbmc, mythtmusic) or any program that
uses tags to build its own library (ie Amarok, itunes, XBMC, etc).

that said, while I like your idea for the MetaLibrarian, I think you
should persue it outside of any single app. Create the system along
with a way for applications to talk to it and then begin work on
adapting MythMusic, etc to work with it. If it provided for allowing
apps like MythMusic to interact with the MetaLibrarian database
instead of having to maintain its own, all the better. I'd even be
willing to test such a system if I could customize it to follow the
rules I've created for my directory structure.

as for changes to MythMusic, I'd love to see changes to the interface,
here are some posts I've made and some threads that have discussed
this area:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/170978

and one concept I came up with last year:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/165767?#165767

--
Steve