[mythtv] More scheduling scheduler

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Fri Apr 14 16:58:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 04:21:07PM +1000, Max Barry wrote:
> I don't suppose one of you could summarize what this new code does,
> specifically? I gather it's not what Paul originally proposed, and the
> ensuing discussion is too technical for me to decipher.
>
> Clearly it's a soft buffer of some kind, but that term means different
> things to different people.

The general idea goes like this.  For each program that might be
recorded at a given time on a given channel, create up to 3 additional
variations.  One with extra time added to the beginning (softstart),
one with extra added to the end (softend), and one with time added to
the beginning and end.  Tweak the scheduling algorithm to prefer the
variation in the following order (softend and softstart added, softend
added, softstart added, neither added).  Schedule normally and see
what comes out.

David
--
David Engel