[mythtv] Memory requirements of current f/e

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Apr 13 14:39:14 UTC 2006

Herman Kuiper wrote:
>>Have you got the new OpenGL gui active?  I haven't investigated, but I
>>guess that this could be causing an increase in memory consumption due to
>>the large amount of textures being generated and overlayed...?  Just
>>guessing a little without actually opening the code unfortunately...
>

> I tied that, but I got no menus visible through VNC, so first I switched to
> off using the -O argument, later I updated to the SVN release in which
> Isaac set the default to off again...

Yeah, I concur. My "good" build is r9263 (IIRC) which is using the OGL
painter albeit with the "white" background bug which is now fixed.

FWIW, I applied the relevent changeset to r9263 and it still runs on my
EPIA fine with a proper blue background. Memory does come close to
running out, but it copes OK (it says I have around 5M free but around
50-60M once buffers are taken into consideration (assuming I'm
interpreting the output of free correctly)).

I reckon 512 Mb is gonna go into the wee fellae anyways for good measure
but obviously doesn't address the issues here!

Col