[mythtv] Memory leaks in SVN

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Apr 9 12:48:02 UTC 2006

Hi, Thanks Ivor

>yup, two days looking into it so far, no major progress yet.
>I'm seeing a similar leak on the backend too actually can you confirm it's
>just the frontend leaking for you.

Hmm, my problem 2) in the list was that the backend leaks so badly that
it never starts up and dies almost instantly.  I don't *think* that I
have a major leak while watching live tv though - I need to monitor it
more closely though because it could easily be a leak from both systems
(single box here).

By eye though if I watch some TV then I am quickly down 400Mb, quiting
livetv gives me 100Mb or so back, and then killing the frontend brings
me back to the starting point again.  So if the backend is leaking then
it seems to be giving it back when the recording stops - the frontend
*isn't* though.

The size of the memory increments for me are several hundred Kb+, which
suggests that it's a major leak, perhaps a decoded frame?  They are
periodic jumps as well, not smooth

Does valgrind give any details on what it could be?  Is there another
clever way to find out what could be allocating memory and not giving it
back?

Thanks for your comments

Ed W