[mythtv] New UI code. (was: blah blah up/down arrows blah blah)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 18:43:06 UTC 2006

On 4/7/06, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
> On Friday 07 April 2006 14:17, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > Sound good, have you looked at  XBMC's theme structure? It looks
> > fairly flexible and simple from my time with it.
>
> The existing code we have is flexible - it's just not simple.  I'm basically
> retaining the flexibility (and adding more), but significantly simplifying
> things.  Got a good chunk if it already completed.  It's still relatively
> similar in style to the existing themes - I don't want to change things too
> extensively.

interesting. I may have to take a crack and putting together my own
theme then... Can the UI play animated GIF's or have some method of
rotating images based on time?

> > I had an I idea while using XBMC the other day. It has an area of the
> > main menu that when playing music is a window to the visualization. I
> > thought it would be neat if Myth had the ability to enter the menu
> > structure while watching tv in a similar fashion, where the tv video
> > is placed in a window like with the EPG, but instead of the EPG have
> > the menu structure overlayed. This area could also be used in similar
> > fashion as to XBMC for the music visualization, etc.
>
> Eh, I dunno.  Could be done with the GL stuff, I suppose.

Just throwing it out there =D

> > > That's completely separate. =)  I still maintain that it wouldn't be very
> > > hard to background the existing music player and return to it if someone
> > > wanted to do the work.  It's just not something I want to spend time on.
> >
> > Hrm, from my understanding through what I've read, I thought the
> > plugins exited when you left them, wouldn't that make controlling the
> > music while its being played impossible if you exited MythMusic? While
> > I'm not so interested in playing music during a slide show, it would
> > be nice to be able to do other tasks such as schedule shows, see what
> > I've recorded, etc,  while MythMusic was playing in the background,
> > and still being able to select the next track, etc.. I just got the
> > impression that this was not possible due to the plugin structure?
>
> Not at all.
>
> The plugin api is 5 C functions: run, config, init, type, destroy.  'type' is
> unused.  A plugin will also generally registering some jump point
> destinations.
>
> There's absolutely nothing that is making a plugin exit when you leave it.
> Right now, every plugin does a complete setup/teardown when it's told to
> run - but it certainly doesn't have to do that.  Wouldn't be difficult at all
> to simply not tear everything down when exiting the screen and return to that
> state when coming back - the _only_ tricky part is requesting it to stop
> playing if you go into something that wants the sound device.

I need to talk to my friend, see if he has any interest in writing a
new music plugin.

thanks for info!
--
Steve