[mythtv] FYI Tuning patch

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Sep 24 21:18:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 19:40 +0100, Jim wrote:
> Thanks again!
> FYI - testing using patch6 against revision 7306 using default
> signal/channel timeouts
>
> recording/playback/scanning - digital/analog - working well.
> Live tv tuning between on-air channels now consistenly 5-6s
> Tuning from viewing an off-air channel to an on-air channel now ~17s,
> occasionally 22 or 30+s - again no obvious correlation between the
> channels involved and the timings.
Please send me a backend log showing this bug, with "-v channel,record".

> Two minor bugs:
> a) the UK currently has two channels with apostrophes embedded in the name
> picked up by the scan - (UKTV Br'tIdeas & Teachers' TV)  the code in
> TVRec::DoGetNextChannel  now uses ' in the select statement which breaks
> with the embedded '
Which column is this in, It's not cardnum is it?

> b) channels can only be changed in one direction, this seems to be because
> TVRec::TuningFrequency calls GetNextChannel using a direction computed
> from the channum string after stripping out  "NextChannel"
> int dir = channum.right(channum.length() - 15).toInt();
> I think this should be
> int dir = channum.right(channum.length() - 11).toInt();
Yep, the magic channum used to be "GetNextChannel", but now it is
"NextChannel" and I forgot to subtract 3.. it will be fixed in the
next version.

> Its harder to get consistent timings at the moment because front-end cpu
> load has increased (<~35% at 6910 to > 84% now) to the extent that the
> code in NuppelVideoPlayer::DisplayNormalFrame
> invoking "playing slower due to falling behind..."  is now being invoked.
>
> ( The effect here is probably not what was intended because cpu load
> reduces a little when it plays slower so the "Playing at normal speed from
> falling behind..." is triggered - which takes cpu load up and we go round
> again :)  - which also means the osd displaying the timing is almost
> always visible.
> A secondary consequence is that the only way to exit is to change channel
> as the exit request is ignored whilst the above is happening)
This is something Issac is working on to improve LiveTV, and is not part of
this patch. It is a work in progress...

-- Daniel