[mythtv] DSM-CC object carousel parser and storage patch for 0.18.1

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Thu Sep 22 15:25:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 11:07:33AM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 15:49 +0100, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> >
> > I've been doing some work on the DSMCC stuff, so I'll take a look
> > at it and help move it to be compatible with svn. The current svn
> > is a moving target in this area as Daniel is working toward
> > ditching siparser in favour of much nicer ways of doing things.
>
> Ditching SIParser is not on my agenda.. merging the  HDTVRecorder
> StreamData parsers and the DVBRecorders SIParser, taking the best
> of both, is on my agenda. But this is for 0.20 not 0.19...

The point I was trying to make is that it needs to be tied into
your new way of doing things rather than the old way :-)

> And I could wait for DSM-CC to be merged first (Assuming the code
> is any good. :)

I would suggest that waiting for DSMCC changes serves little
purpose because on it's own the DSMCC support is useless.

The Object Carousel (or DSMCC) is 1/3 of what is required for
full support of interactive tv.

Once you have DSMCC support, you then need an mheg interpreter,
parts of which we should be able to pull from the freemheg project.

Then you need a rendering engine which can render what is described
in the mheg applications. (This is what is delivered over DSMCC).

As this is pretty significant area of UI functionality, I suggest
we implement this under the new MythUI.

I'd say that makes interactive TV more like a 0.21 target :-)

Stuart