[mythtv] Status of mythtranscode

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Fri Sep 16 13:00:45 UTC 2005

Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:

> So, I've been out of the loop for over a year now, and was wondering
> what the status of mythtranscode (specifcally mpeg2trans) was.
> The last thing I knew, the rate stuff was screwed up, which meant that
> the streams weren't DVD compliant.  In my opinion, this was an ffmpeg
> (avformat I guess) limitation, and it was going to be painful to fix
> in myth (I would have needed to implementmy own container-writer).
> But it appears there have been some commits lately that imply it is
> working for the most part.  Can someone bring me up to speed?  Looking
> at the code, it doesn't look too different from how I left it.  Did
> avformat get their act together?  I have a bit of time now, and
> thought I'd see where things stood.

The mpeg2trans stuff worked for the tests I did before committing the
patches.  It'll honor the cutlist without re encoding and produce a file
that doesn't suffer from a/v sync issues.  The video stream is DVD
compliant but the audio stream is still MP2 (AFAIK) which means some
work needs to be done for it to truly be DVD compliant file.