[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing inLiveTV.....

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sat Sep 10 15:29:52 UTC 2005

Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>> Its a half-assed implementation that ignores one of the major pieces
>> of functionality _every_ other PVR has, the ability to REWIND "live"
>> TV to catch something you missed.
>

>     The whole-assed version of it is what I suggested.  Do *both*, but
> don't require a *decode* of the data unless paused.  When at
> "0-buffer," play the uncompressed stream while recording the
> compressed one.

You're trying to solve the problem the hard way....

A HUGE chunk of the user base use hardware encoders, DVB and HDTV cards
all of which require decoding so you can't just display "raw frames"...
You probably don't want to be slinging around uncompressed video to
remote frontends and the like either.  Once you get around those two
holes I'm sure you'll encounter even more edge cases. The amount of
effort involved to make your idea work could be better spent on reducing
the amount of time it takes to change the channel.