[mythtv] Current DVB problems rundown

Kenneth Aafløy lists at kenneth.aafloy.net
Sat Sep 10 01:53:44 UTC 2005

Lørdag 10 september 2005 03:40, skrev John P Poet:
> On 9/9/05, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 17:33 +0100, John Pullan wrote:
> > > I wonder if Daniel could provide us with a  new current list of
> > > problems ?
> >
> > As far as I'm aware it's down to two:
> >   Mysterious rec vs livetv problem (Adam Egger)
> >     Need "mythbackend -v record,channel,siparser" output from
> >     both on same channel with latest SVN.
> >   DVB lock threshold (John Poet -- DVB driver issue)
> >     Need to know driver + driver/kernel version used.
>
> I have tried the stock DVB drivers in the 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 kernels.
> They behave the same.
> I have just downloaded the latest DVB patch dated 05Sep05 from the
> linuxtv site.  I will try patching a 2.6.13 kernel with it, and see if
> that helps.

Please don't put driver issues onto the MythTV project, if it behaves the
same, it should be a driver issue.

> Playing with azap, I have seen it take up to 20 seconds to get a lock
> on that station (KOB-DT 4-1 or 26-3).
>
> Once it gets a lock, it holds it.  Once it gets a lock, I can stop
> azap and restart it, and it immediately gets a lock.

It could be something related to zig-zag scanning, if atsc frontends
permit that, since if you already have a lock it won't do it.
It could also be related to an internal scanning routine (they do exist)
which is not set up properly.

> If I use azap to tune another station, then try to tune KOB again, it
> will once again take up to 20 seconds to get a lock.
>
> If I use azap to tune to another station, then tell it to tune KOB
> again and let it try for a second, then *stop* azap and wait 20
> seconds, then start azap again, it immediately gets a lock.  It is
> like the actual "tuning" process takes a while on that station.
>
> If the latest DVB driver does not help, I am wondering if I can make
> Myth retry for up to 20 seconds.  Where would I look in the Myth
> source, if I want to play with this?

IMHO, nothing should be done to Myth because of this, only driver vs. api
issues should be fixed in myth!

Kenneth