[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing in LiveTV.....

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 07:56:14 UTC 2005

On 9/8/05, Buzz <buzz at oska.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We all know that channel changing in LiveTV is SLOW, because of a number of
> core features (tuning time, ring buffers, etc etc), so here's a suggestion
> for improving SLOW channel changing in LiveTV....
>

> CONCEPT: Pre-emptively tuning non-active tuner/s to a channel either side of
> the current one.... and changing channels by switching liveTV to the
> pre-tuned tuner instead of re-tuning the active tuner. (then re-tuning it
> automatically once it's non-active if required).
>
> (non-active = not currently being used for recordings or liveTV, etc)
>

> TECHNOLOGY:
> 1) Obviously this requires multiple tuners....  But it falls-back gracefully
> to the current "SLOW" situation for single-tuner installs, or when the other
> tuners are busy.
> 2) requires multiple ring-buffers (one for each tuner) - but I suspect that
> because of PiP, mythTV already has that?  Anyone?
> 3) requires quick-switch between ring-buffers, but again, PiP already does
> this when swapping between pictures.
>

> Can anyone with a more indepth knowledge of the code comment on the possible
> difficulty of implementing this?
>
> Suggestions anyone?

I suggest I really like this :P

I guess you could have an option that state what your preferred surf
method is too, so you can always pre-emtively tune upwards if thats
the way you normally go.  Or, use a channel priority to decide which
you will likely jump to.

I only really have one FE so my 3 tuners works.  If I had more, I
would probably get more tuners and slave backends so this would work
really well.  That said, in AU, we only have 5 real (terrestrial)
channels so it would be cool if it would only use one tuner even if
one FE was watching liveTV on channel 2, while the backend was
recording on channel 2.

Anyways, cool idea :D

Whytey

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.