[mythtv] Develop new plugin, HOW??

Carl Reynolds mythtv-dev at hyperbole-software.com
Thu Sep 8 02:56:39 UTC 2005

Barvaz Zan wrote:

> this is a long shot but is it possible to create plugins in c#? using
> something like the mono compilier?
>
> unfortunately they only teach .net in my course

I'm not familiar with C# or the Mono Compiler. I avoid proprietary
languages when ever possible. If I attended a school that only taught C#
in their CS course, I would seriously think about switching to a school
where they teach principles of computer science rather than just syntax.

Until you mentioned it, I was not aware there was a compiler available
that would allow you to use C# on Linux.

While it is almost always possible to interface one compiled language to
another, the task is not easy and usually requires fairly extensive
research into the parameter passing protocols used by each compiler as
well as how return values and return addresses are managed and how each
language manages the stack (sometimes also the heap).

If you want to try creating plugins for MythTV using C#, it can probably
be done, but I suspect you are on your own as far as figuring out how to
do it.

Carl.