[mythtv] Idea, suggestion : mythexplorer

"François K." daitheflu at free.fr
Mon Oct 31 14:57:23 EST 2005

Hi all,

I'm new here (and also at using MythTV) and I first would like to
congratulate all the developpers for their work on mythtv, it's simply
amazing  ! So thank you all !
Here is a little idea I have to improve MythTV a bit. The subject may
have been already discussed but I didn't find anything on it so...
"My" idea is to create a new plugin that would allow the users to make
some basic manipulations on files.

For example, I often use an external USB disk and the only way for me to
copy the files on my mythbox is to connect via another PC, with SSH. So,
my idea was to create something very simple that would allow the user to
copy/cut - paste - delete files.

The thing could be organized with 3 bins (i think that's how you call it
in english) and an xml file.

* The xml file would contain several places (favorites) from where you
will be able to copy/cut - paste and remove the files.
For example, the file could contain : /data/movies /data/music
/home/perso /whateveryouwant /mnt/USB /mnt/DVD and so on.

* The first bin would list those favorites places as Source. So, if you
want to copy a movie from your USB disk, you would select /mnt/USB and
valid.

* The second bin would list the files contained in the Source directory
and would allow you select the ones you want to copy/cut - paste - remove.

* Then you would be asked for the manipulation you want to do : copy ?
cut ? remove ?
And if you select copy or cut, you would be asked for the Destination
directory (from your favorites -xml file- as well) and it would
automatically paste the files in it.

I don't really know if my explanations are clear, so don't hesitate if
you didn't understand something :)

I really would like to develop that but I don't know anything in QT, C
programming, so, if someone wants to give me hand (explaining me the
basics aso...) it would be very very nice :) I'm used to java, php and
others language, I think I can "afford" it with some help.

Tell me what you think of it, any help/ideas/thoughts on it is
appreciated :)

Fr.