[mythtv] LIRC question

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Oct 31 09:49:41 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 21:11 -0500, Hal Burch wrote:
> The remote control system seems a bit hackish, translating remote
> events to keypress events.  Is this a conscience design, a result of
> the recent addition of native LIRC support, or the result of the Lirc
> library?
Not really a conscious design AFAIC, but there has been at least one
failed attempt to change this. The failed attempt didn't keep in mind
that MythTV is a cross-platform application and tied keyboard input
too tightly with Linux.

If you want to work on the LIRC code, may I suggest that a better way
to setup MythTV for the user's particular remote may be a better first
step? Perhaps have the user choose a picture of a remote best matching
theirs and then highlighting each key in the image of the remote and
have the user press that button, then you could have some defaults
for each button that the user could change by cursoring to the button
on the on screen picture of a remote, selecting the button, and
choosing a function from a combo box.

Right now you need to program LIRC with the buttons on your remote
with a text file and a command line utility, then map each button
to a key that corresponds to some function in MythTV with another
text file, and only then do you run into the problem that remapping
keys to different functions means that you must fix-up that second
text file...

-- Daniel